Thursday, April 5, 2007

Dionysus, Poseidon?... Hermes!


If I had known I was going to print so many of these scultpures from the Getty, I would have have better documented their subject/title(s). This is either Dionysus or Poseidon. (UPDATE: my resourceful sources tell me this is actually a sculpture of Hermes, messenger to the gods. Thanks,B!) Maybe I should just call it
Man with Big Squared-Off Beard, since that is what drew me to snap a picture of this piece.

This print is a monotype printed in black etching ink with the blue background tapped onto the plate and just a tiny bit of detail added with watercolor.



Above is the plate ready to be printed. Below is the print being pulled from the plate.


2 comments:

Planet Janet said...

Man, this is stunning. The shadows' depth -- the color -- all perfectly rendered. Good job!

belindadelpesco.com said...

Alas, my good friend, you have done a portrait of Hermes, and it is a very good one, indeed.