Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Parallel Lives show poster (printmaking+photoshop=oh my!)


This is the poster design I just completed for a production of Parallel Lives (formerly Parallel Lives: The Kathy & Mo Show) being produced by Terrific New Theatre in Birmingham, Alabama (& starring my dear, dear friend Carolyn!).
This project was a marriage of old school and new. The image is a hand-cut linoleum block print while the text and colored background are all photoshop. I'm fairly pleased with the results. I think the design is true to my style and represents the show well visually and thematically. I've designed posters over the years, but I've just done the art. This is the first time I've done the whole thing (art, layout, text, etc.). This was mainly because of a really tight deadline, but I also wanted to challenge myself to learn more about this here computer program. It was very satisfying to talk to the printer on the other side of the country about file format and then just send them an email - blap! Done. Let me just say I can only imagine how much the graphic design industry has changed over the last twenty years.


This is the linoleum print in black ink that was scanned in and cleaned up. Normally when printing a lino block, you have to do a couple of proofs and then go back and re-carve areas to clean up the image. It was very nice to be able to do all of that digitally in photoshop - click, click, click. The print itself becomes a manipulable tool instead of being the final product that has to be perfect. This part I like.

This is the final sketch. This was scanned to be laid out on the lino block. Any printing plate has to be cut, etched, etc. in reverse so that the final image is correctly oriented. Photoshop is great for this - flip the image horizontally, size it to fit your block and print. Then I transferred the image to the block and spent many, many hours cutting it out by hand (old school).

7 comments:

Elin said...

I really LOVE this poster. I think you are doing well with blending old school / new school. Photoshop is a bear to learn, but so much fun once you become familiar with it.

belindadelpesco.com said...

Very cool. You rock, VMC.

Anonymous said...

i genuinely love your posting kind, very interesting,
don't give up and also keep writing considering it simply nicely to read it.
looking forward to look over a lot more of your stories, kind regards!

Renard said...

I like the design of this post!!! And I also enjoy the combination of techniques a lot.

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Avril Swenson

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read the blog. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Julia Hakkinen

Anonymous said...

Nice post you got here. I'd like to read more about this matter. The only thing this blog misses is some pics of some gizmos.

David Stepman
cell phone jam